Agribusiness

Overview

Genesis 2:15 tells us that God placed Adam in the garden and instructed him to take care of it. Since the beginning of time, we have been cultivating the ground and keeping the orchard in order to provide food for those around us. In the Grace College School of Business, we strongly believe that Jeremiah 29: 4-7 provides a great guideline and encouragement for business professionals to assist in helping their local communities. We believe that the Agribusiness program will assist in fulfilling our mission in a new and beneficial way to both Grace College and our local agricultural community.

The Kosciusko County Economic Development Corporation’s website states that Grace College is “located in a strong agricultural production area that has changed significantly and is noted for state-of-the art innovation and technology in its farming, ag processing and ag equipment industries. What hasn’t changed is the rural work ethic of its workforce and a common-sense problem-solving approach to business.”

Indiana boasts an agricultural industry that produces $38 billion annually which is roughly 13.5% of the states’ economic activity. In fact, 83% of Indiana’s land is dedicated to either agricultural production or forestry.

Jeff Mize, CEO of Ag Plus in South Whitley said, “Agricultural employment options are endless right now. There are so many opportunities that were not (available) 20 years ago. You look at your workforce and almost 50 percent of our workforce is going to retire in the next three to seven years.”

Since the world population is expected to be around 9 billion by the year 2050, it is believed that farms must become far more efficient with farmers producing more than 70% more food than they do now. This will take an educated workforce that is willing to use modern technology and methods to produce food to feed the world. Still, contrary to popular belief, 97% of all the farms in the USA are family owned and operated leaving only 3% that are operated by non-family corporations.

The Agribusiness program is designed to provide students with strong foundations in science and traditional business while emphasizing specialized agribusiness courses. Internships are designed to provide the student with hands-on experience for an entire ag-cycle from beginning planting through harvest. Internships will be tailored to the agricultural interest of each student.

Course Requirements for Associates of Applied Science in Agribusiness

 

Course Requirements for B.S. in Agribusiness