Questions to Ask on a College Visit
When you visit a college campus, how do you decide if it’s the right one for you? Is it the friendly faces? Should you focus on the scholarship opportunities? Or is it supportive professors that matter most? The following questions to ask on a college visit will help you get the information you need. Ask these questions to get to the heart of the institution, and find out if it’s the right fit for you!
Questions to Ask on a College Visit: Admissions Counselors
During your college visit, you’ll have a meeting with your admissions counselor, where you’ll discuss financial aid, the application process, important admission deadlines, and unique programs the school has to offer. It’s important to come prepared with a list of questions to ask your admissions counselor during that meeting.
Here are some we recommend asking:
- What does the freshmen experience look like here?
- Do you offer any unique programs or have any interesting requirements for students?
- Can you help me better understand the financial aid process, what it means to take out a loan, and any scholarship information that might be relevant to me?
- How safe is the greater community around campus?
- What’s the next step for me in the admissions process?
Questions to Ask: Tour Guides
While on a tour, you’ll see and learn about campus buildings like the library, dining commons, recreation centers, dorms, and other important locations and offices – plus, you’ll have plenty of time to chat with your guide along the way.
Make sure to ask your tour guide the following questions:
- Which dorms do students tend to prefer living in and why?
- What are the dining options on campus, and which are the most popular?
- What are some of the rules that students must adhere to?
- Can freshmen have cars on campus, and are there any parking fees or regulations?
- Are there any places we didn’t get to visit on campus that might be important for me to know about?
Questions to Ask: Current Students
If you’re visiting during the academic year, chances are you’ll run into current students around campus — if you don’t, that may be a cause for concern! This is a perfect opportunity to ask them about what they like best about the culture of the school, what students do around the campus and in the community for fun, and anything else you’re wondering about student life. This is your chance to get the unedited, genuine answers you’re looking for!
If you have the chance to speak with a current student, ask him or her:
- What’s the number one reason you decided to attend school here?
- Do you feel intentionally cared about as a student?
- Are the professors eager to interact with students? Are they easily accessible?
- What do students like to do for fun on campus and in the community?
- Are there any campus clubs, organizations, or leadership positions you can tell me about?
Questions to Ask on a College Visit: Professors
Meeting with a professor in the field of study you’re interested in gives you the ability to understand more about the academics of a school. It also allows you to begin a relationship with an instructor and learn more about the major you’re considering to study. We also understand that this can be intimidating for many high school students, so we encourage you to come prepared with some questions ready to go!
When meeting with a professor, it’s important to inquire about:
- What type of internships, applied learning experiences, study abroad opportunities are available within your department?
- What are some of the practical skills I will develop through taking courses in this field?
- How do you help students determine a career path and guide them in the next steps after graduation?
- Do you interact with students on a personal level?
- What are some recent graduate success stories? How were they prepared for their current position while in college?
There are plenty more questions to ask on a college visit! Remember, there is no such thing as a bad question. It might even help to come prepared with a list of things you want to know about. But most importantly, a college visit is all about the “fit” of a school. Does the school mesh with your personality, aspirations, and interests? If the answer is yes, then you might have just completed your final campus visit.
Interested in scheduling your next visit? Come to the beautiful Winona Lake, Indiana. Schedule your visit today.