What Does it Mean to be a Christian College?
So you decided to go to college…now what? Your next step is deciding what type of college you’d like to attend. Beauty school, trade school, Ivy League, public, and private – your options are endless! All of these institutions have certain defining characteristics and selling points that they want you to pay attention to. It’s your job to decide which attributes are most important to you!
At Grace, we want to be known for our academic excellence, connected community, accelerated study opportunities, and competitive athletics. Most of all, we want to be known as a Christian college. This term can mean a variety of things to a variety of people, so what exactly do we mean when we say we’re a Christian college?
The Foundations of Our Faith
Grace College is affiliated with the Charis Fellowship, which means we are in a supportive network of churches, nonprofits, and other colleges that work together to spread the Gospel. Our students come from a variety of denominations, but are all united under these central values:
We want to teach Scriptural truth, engage in intentional relationships with other Christians, and pursue the Great Commission in everyday life. If you agree with these core values then Grace would be a great fit for you!
The Actions of Our Faith
As a Christian college, we want our faith to drive everything we do. We intentionally integrate our faith into our day-to-day life on campus by directly learning about God and His Word, applying this knowledge to our specific disciplines and fields, and putting it into practice on campus and in the community.
- Grace holds chapel services three times a week.
- Freshmen students are required to attend Growth Groups once a week.
- Intentional faith conversations in non-Bible classes are commonplace.
- Our core curriculum is divided into four faith competencies: Worshiping God, Engaging with the World, Connecting with Others, and Following His Calling.
- Our residence life jobs teach student leaders how to shepherd others.
- Every year, we have a campus theme based on a book of the Bible.
- Our professors don’t just teach our students, they disciple them.
The Products of Our Faith
As a result of learning, applying, and practicing the tenets of our faith, we hope that the following core values found in Scripture would take root in the hearts and minds of students. After all, if our faith doesn’t change us, it’s worthless!
- Engaged – We want our students to be engaged with the world around us through participation in events and organizations that glorify God.
“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.” -Colossians 3:23
- Selfless – Our students value other people by stepping into their world to serve and walk alongside them in their lives as image-bearers of God.
“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.” -Ephesians 4:2
- Thriving – We hope our students thrive in their individual relationships with God and with the Church.
“And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.” -2 Corinthians 3:18
Authentic – We want our students to live lives that are Christ-like in every single way.
“For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.” -Colossians 1:16-17
Ultimately, we want anyone who steps on our campus and meets our students to see the light of Christ in us. We do this by having a solid Covenant of Faith that directs our every step.
Are you looking for a college that will challenge you in your faith as you are being educated in your chosen career field? Apply to Grace College today.