Opening for Jail Chaplain – Elkhart, IN
Due to Chaplain Mike Kupke recently retiring from the Elkhart County Jail, the Elkhart County Jail Chaplaincy Board is announcing an opening for a full-time Chaplain at the jail.
All interested persons are asked to email OR mail their resume to:
Questions or Concerns? Please contact Rick Lambright 260-336-4077
The Jail Chaplain shall be appointed by The Advisory Board on Religious Activities. The Jail Chaplain must meet minimum standards as established by the Elkhart County Sheriff. The Chaplain shall be supervised by the Jail Commander. The Jail Chaplain must pass a polygraph examination, background investigation, and medical examination if required by the Sheriff.
- The basic workweek will be 40 hrs/week.
- Counsel and assist inmates on request of inmates or Security Division personnel.
- Schedule religious services.
- Maintain and circulate religious materials to inmates.
- Expand inmates’ awareness of program availability.
- Assist ministerial visitations
- Serve as resource and liaison person to the religious community. Be available for speaking at church and community groups.
- Attend Advisory Committee meetings.
- Develop, implement and supervise religious education programs including fellowship, worship and Bible study programs.
- Supervise, provide oversight, and delegate duties to Volunteer Assistant Chaplains. Also, hold quarterly meetings with Volunteer Assistant Chaplains.
- Be “on call” for emergencies.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Advisory Committee or the sheriff.